Monday, June 18, 2007

Blackberrying

"Nobody in the lane, and nothing, nothing but blackberries,
Blackberries on either side, though on the right mainly,
A blackberry alley, going down in hooks, and a sea
Somewhere at the end of it, heaving. Blackberries
Big as the ball of my thumb, and dumb as eyes
Ebon in the hedges, fat
With blue-red juices. These they squander on my fingers.
I had not asked for such a blood sisterhood; they must love me.
They accommodate themselves to my milkbottle, flattening their sides..."

-excerpt from Blackberrying by Sylvia Plath
{photo from Martha Stewart Weddings}


This is one of my favorite poems- just reading it makes me think of summers at the lake picking blackberries along the edge of the water. This is also where my fiance and I have chosen to have our wedding, so here is what I am looking at lately to get inspired for my summer wedding.

Berries are perfect for a summer wedding without being too "themey"; love these custom gocco screenprinted wedding invitations by Etsy merchant heatherjeany:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
{photos from Flickr}

Hand-written welcome notes on blank letterpress cards are a nice personal touch for wedding guests when they arrive, and colorful berries make a wedding program actually look fun:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
{Top: (L) summer strawberry letterpress card by Papered Together, (R) wedding program by A Day in May via Brides;
Bottom: (L) farmers' market letterpress cards by Yee-Haw Industries, (R) raspberry letterpress card by Boiled Art}

No comments: